The Doncaster IAPT LTC fibromyalgia therapy group is a sharing experience for patients who are wanting to put their learning into practise from the 2 session education group, topics will theme throughout.
Participant will be expected to engage with other group members and be ready to start to make changes, working with fibromyalgia. Each week the group will review activity diaries and their relationship with the pain and fatigue cycle, graded activity, time pacing, fatigue, boom and bust and goal setting.
Each week the group will explore the impact of loss of health on values and beliefs linking to physical, emotional mental, behavioural impacts, sharing personal experiences and connecting to emotions, anxiety, low mood and low self-esteem.
Running over 6 weekly group sessions, focus will be given to practising:
- Mindfulness, Tai Chi and breathing exercises, in line with loss of health.
Areas of exploration will theme around the following:
- Problems areas to confront, problems affecting your fibromyalgia linking to loss of control, identifying activities that negatively and positively impact.
- Understanding and accepting your condition which themes around acceptance, self-awareness, fears and adapting to change.
- Readiness to change and making changes which themes around taking back control, reducing the impact of Fibromyalgia and making lifestyle changes around relationships, activity, exercise and emotions.
- Self-managing, reviewing progress, managing a flare up’s and creating a fibromyalgia toolbox working towards creating a meaningful life.
- Time will be spent on validating your experiences with your long term health condition, completing nurturing and depleting tasks, developing self-compassion, emotional resilience and considering plans for the future.
- There is an expectation that homework (Diaries and goals) will be completed between session ready to share with the group, each session follows on from the previous one.
Currently the Fibromyalgia therapy group is run on a one-to-one basis due to COVID over 4 sessions.