Stress is your body’s method of reacting to a challenge. It is a biological response that prepares you to either fight (challenge the stressor) or take flight (avoid the stressor). It is something everyone experiences every day. Your friends, your family, your boss; all experience stress! So you’re not alone. Stress is typically a negative condition that can impact on your mental well-being.
Stress is best expressed along a scale. At one end you have very little levels of stress, and at the other you have very high levels of stress. You can vary along this scale each day, or sometimes each hour! But what is most important to note is that there is never ‘No Stress’.
How does it work?
Stress Control runs over six sessions (varies by location) lasting for approximately 90 minutes. The course will teach you about stress and will give you the weapons to fight it. You should only come to the course if you are prepared to work hard. If you are looking for the miracle cure, you will be wasting your time – it doesn’t exist. ‘Stress Control’ will show you how to go about tackling stress but, at the end of the day, it will take a lot of hard work on your part.
- Session 1: Learning about stress- How does stress affect your thoughts, actions and body?
- Session 2: Controlling your body- How can exercise help stress? How can I make use of relaxation?
- Session 3: Controlling your thoughts (cognitive therapy) – How does stress affect my thinking, and how does that affect my thoughts? How to get your thoughts under control.
- Session 4: Controlling your actions (behaviour therapy) – How to face up to stress and to make use of “problem solving”. These skills will be combined with session 3 (cognitive behavioural therapy).
- Session 5: Controlling panic- How to deal with panic attacks and applying this work to everyday stress.
- Session 6: Controlling sleeping problems and controlling the future- How to sleep better. A final review of the course.
Please click on the image to the left or follow this link to download a copy of our Stress Control leafets